Welcome to Dick's Blog

Sticking up for the little guys...

Tuesday 5 April 2011

2. Dick has a rough old night

Hi, I'm Richard Everyman but people call me Dick.

Well last night was a bit rough.  After walking a few miles I found an old garage to sleep in after climbing in through a cat flap.  I was in luck, there were old wicker baskets and bits of bubble wrap lying around so I made myself a bit of a nest and settled down for the night.

I dreamed about Yvette.
I thought about the Big Society, how we were all going to live in peace and prosperity for ever and ever.  After 43 years incarcerated in that attic it was a rosy picture, let me tell you.  It had been an exhausting day and after tossing and turning for a while I fell into a deep sleep.

I dreamed about Yvette.  Her long blonde hair falling over her shoulders and her cute button nose turned a comic shade of red in the cold night air.  She walked towards me with her arm outstretched.  Her arm!  That dysfunctional kid who broke my spirit all those years ago had ripped off one of Yvette's arms.

I pulled her close to me.  "It's okay Yvette," I said "Don't cry, please don't cry."
She whimpered and held on to me as best as she could with her one good arm.  "I've missed you Dick." Her French accent was as alluring as it had always been.
I wiped a tear from her eye.  "Listen Yvette, we've arrived in the Big Society.  We are going to be taken care of.  I'll find a job and we'll get you fixed."
She stared at me with fear in her eyes.  "Oh Dick, haven't you heard?"
My heart sank to the bottom of my jump suit.  "Tell me Yvette.  What is it?"
"They might privatise the NHS..."
"No!  They can't do that!  Say it's not true?"  But she could only nod in her unique Gallic way.

I woke up in a sweat as the cat flap opened.   Yvette had disappeared along with my dream as the mangiest moggy I had ever seen crept in with a dead mouse hanging from its vile jaws.  Well at least I wouldn't be on the menu.

As the creature settled down with its feast I chastised myself for allowing all those negative thoughts to enter into my dreams.  "You've got to pull yourself together Dick!  Today I will start my quest to learn about the Big Society."

I pulled myself together




This is Dick Everyman signing out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to Dick but no profanity please...